1.14.2011

Music speaks louder than words

           I am sure that as you were reading the title you were wondering, "does she mean actions speak louder than words?" I meant exactly what I said. Music speaks louder than words.
           If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.  ~Gustav Mahler
           I have grown up in a family of the musically inclined. I have a sister who can play anything she wants on the piano. A Brother who can play the guitar with ease. A mother who has an appreciation for all music. And a father who surrounds himself with it, from his career to his hobbies.
          I was named after The Beatles album Abbey Road. This is something that I am so proud of. I love telling people that my parents picked my name from music. And not just any music, but the Beatles.
         My dad truly understands how to use music to express his feelings. I remember so many times that he would come into his bedroom and say to my mom that he wanted her to hear something. He would pull a CD out of its case and pop it into the player. He would play the most romantic and adorable songs and then simply turn it off as soon as it was over. I always thought that it was so sweet that he would share his feelings with my mom like that. Things that sound too cheesy to say, or songs that sound much better than he could have said it himself. 
          Some of my most vivid memories with my dad involve music. I remember the first time I heard The Story by Brandi Carlile. It was after midnight on a school night and I was down in dad's office with him working on a project with my dad. We decided to call it a night and go get Frostys from Wendy's, since they are after all open until 2 am. We hopped in the car and dad said "I want you to hear something." He put on The Story and turned it up. This song is my most favorite song in the whole world, and part of that is because it takes me back to that night with my dad. It was a night with just the two of us, and although it sounds simply silly, it is so vivid and I will love that memory forever.  
          Many of the memories I have of my dad are ones that involve music. 
Dances that he took me to where I fell asleep in the back of the van as he drove back late at night. Dancing to I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas at parties. Listening to Love you Madly by Cake in the car. 
         My dad has raised all of us with such a love for all kinds of music and that is something that I will always appreciate. 
          I love you dad. Thanks for all that you have taught me and everything that you taught me through music. Thanks for not just being the best dad in the world, but for being the best EXAMPLE of what a good person is. I look up to you for so many things, but I think the biggest is how you treat others and how much you do for others. You give yourself to everyone and would do anything for any person. You sacrifice your time and energy every day to do things for others.  You are a hard worker, incredibly smart, honest, gentle, kind, peaceful, generous and successful. You are so loving to mom and to us kids. Thanks for being patient. Thanks for being a good dad. Thanks for being you. I love you so much Dad. 


This song is for my dad. It always makes me think of the two of us. 






1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I agree, your dad is a great guy! Your whole family is pretty awesome! I miss having you all down the street!